Comments

1. Autumn says

The only word I can come up with at the moment is awesome, but that is such a pitiful excuse for the internal feeling that the tattoo itsself manifested in me. How profoud…

OH EMM GEE WAT A TOTALLY EMO TATOO

enjoy your lifelong memory of something stupid you did when you were younger, and supposedly "smarter." once you grow up, you'll probably wonder why in the name of all that is carbon did you do something so stupid.

roflocopters, even.

it depends on the edition!

early editions read as 'bray' but it was later thought to be 'brag', and so corrected.

some are more popular than the other in certain regions.

depends on your publication!

i've found more European copies refer to the word 'bray', but I have found a couple with 'brag'.

i wonder if there's any difinitive answer?

i'd avoid getting it thought if there was a dispute or uncertainty.

a nice concept still :)

4. Elfi says

Why are people so mean about this tattoo? It's cool and original and I dont see how it would prevent her from getting a good job.

I like it.

She said bray first–referencing the sound and the onomatopoeiac verb, not the abstract verb brag.

Doesn't it sound like the bray (i.e. of a donkey)?

Pretty self-reference here in ink.

–An English professor.

6. Sylvia Mermet says

I have seven tattoos, two in my forearms. And trust me, I make way more than 35000 a year. And I'm not in the tattoo business, at all.

Leave the girl alone. It's a precious thing to wear your passions in your skin…

7. Mandy Kemp says

The original text in Plath’s 1st edition under her pseudonym Victoria Lucas , which was what the book was first published under, it was ‘brag’. In no way does ‘bray’ remotely makes sense in the context of the book and in the personal moment where the character had this revelation. I could maybe see how people having not read the actual book and only seeing the quote online, bray might make more sense out of context from the book. That and it is not considered a common usage of the word ‘brag’. I have yet to see a printed edition with the word ‘bray’ in it. And for those claiming they have, the only thing I can think is it was a typo, being how the g and y on a keyboard are directly diagonal from each other. Here is a link to one of the few places this has been discussed. I have had this quote on my arm for a while and did all the research I could to be certain this was the correct spelling, which matched my book and always just made sense to me in the first place.

8. Hannah says

It IS ‘brag’, not ‘bray, in the copy that I have-and I’m glad because the word ‘bray’ cheapens what is otherwise a great quote. I agree that ‘brag’ makes far more sense in the context of the book.