Hope is the Thing with Feathers part 2

Emily submitted this tattoo, and said:  “I got this as a Christmas present this year and was sad to see that someone else on your blog has the same verse!”

Literary Tattoos: Hope is the Thing With Feathers Emily Dickinson

Hope is the thing with feathers
That perches in the soul,
And sings the tune–without the words,
And never stops-at all,

And sweetest in the gale is heard;
And sore must be the storm
That could abash the little bird
That kept so many warm.

I’ve heard it in the chillest land,
And on the strangest sea;
Yet, never, in extremity,
It asked a crumb of me.

Hope is the Thing With Feathers by Emily Dickinson

Comments

1. Frank says

Sad to see someone else had the same verse? Then why didn't you google it ahead of time rather than after the fact?

Gee, five minutes of research before spending a lifetime marked. If that was too much for you, then I guess you deserve being sad.

2. Jen says

Well, I only posted the other one at the end of December – after she got the tattoo. I'm sure she's still perfectly happy with her choice.

3. Emily says

I don't think you should be sad – I would be happy to see that someone else was as influenced by such a lovely poem as I was, and feel a certain camaraderie with them over it.

: )

beautiful.

4. Emily says

I plan on getting the same verse as well, but for different reasons. It will be important to me, it doesn't matter that it has already been done. As long as you feel a connection with it, that's all you need!

5. Lucy James says

I plan on getting the first line of this poem. i have for a year now and I will not be sad that some else has it. It's a well known poem, you learn it in high school.

That bird is absolutely adorable! I think the font, design and style were a good choice. To be honest, the other one was too cluttered…and even though I viewed it, the flighty script took too much away from the verse that I thought yours was completely different anyway.