(i carry it in my heart)

This tattoo was submitted by Danielle with a sad story:

Just over a year ago my fiance Noel took his own life. I had been in the process of making him a scrapbook to give to him at our rehearsal dinner. One of the pages included e.e. cummings’  poem “i carry your heart with me.”

A month after his death I had this tattoo done on the inside of my left wrist. It has the first line of the cummings’ poem around a winged heart. The tattoo was done by Alex at Fat Ram Pumpkin Tattoo in JP, Mass. The picture doesn’t do well showing the coloring, but Alex did a beautiful job.

Literary Tattoos: i carry your heart with me e.e. cummings

i carry your heart with me (i carry it in
my heart) i am never without it (anywhere
i go you go, my dear; and whatever is done
by only me is your doing, my darling)
i fear
no fate (for you are my fate, my sweet) i want
no world (for beautiful you are my world, my true)
and it’s you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you

here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life; which grows
higher than the soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that’s keeping the stars apart

i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)

- e. e. cummingsLiterary Tattoos: i carry your heart with me e.e. cummings , i carry your heart with me

Comments

1. Rashni says

This is such a beautiful poem. I'm so so sorry about your loss Danielle, but I want you to know that you inspired me and MY fiance to use this poem somehow in our wedding. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

2. Danielle says

Rashni, I wish you & your fiance much happiness. And thank YOU – it's nice to be a part of something that brings joy.

3. laura says

"i carry you heart here with me I carry it in my heart" is one of the most beautiful lines of poetry I have ever read, I feel in love with the e.e. cummings poem after studying it in school and fell further in love with this particular line after hearing it incoporated into one of my favourite songs, that has just happened to come on my ipod this very minute ("ion square" by bloc party.)

I am studying overseas at the moment, and when I send my love back home I always tell my sisters that I am carrying their hearts with me.

Your story, and your beautiful tattoo has inspired me to also get this tattoo.

I wish you good luck for whatever the future may bring you and applaud you on your strength to share with others your story.

4. Emily says

My boyfriend took his life about two months ago and I was contemplating getting a tattoo of this same phrase, because when he was alive it meant a lot to us. Coming across your tattoo and having a similar story to yours really convinced me to get it done. I hope that everything is going okay with you and I am so terribly sorry about your loss. We will always carry their hearts and their love with us. No matter what, they are always with us.

5. Adrienne says

This is so absolutely beautiful. You are so strong. I am so incredibly sorry for your loss.

This poem is amazing, your tattoo is amazing, and you're amazing. <3

6. kim quintana says

yes its really too hard to be left by someone you love..it cause too much pain…but you overcome it..

hope i can do it too..you inspire me