the world is quiet here

This is Gab’s tattoo.

Literary Tattoos: Lemony Snicket A Series of Unfortunate Events

“When we grab you by the ankles
Where our mark is to be made
you’ll soon be doing noble work
Although you won’t be paid
When we drive away in secret
You’ll be a volunteer
So don’t scream where we take you;
The world is quiet here.”

This is the VFD slogan from Lemony Snicket’s A Series of Unfortunate Events.

Comments

1. Brandy says

Every time I come to this website and scroll down too far on the main page, I see this.

Every time I see this, I fall back in love with it. A lovely tattoo, and a beautiful capture.

Probably one of the best literary tattoo's I've ever seen.

2. Hannah says

I just adore this tattoo, I come back to this site every week or so just to look at it… I so want a literary tattoo on my forearm in a typewriter font! I don't know what font this is, but I found one which, if it isn't it, is very close – http://www.box.net/shared/2s94auy2lc . :)

• J says

RING… I really need SUGAR for the cake i’m about to make. Could someone hand me a BOWL ? IS it AT your house? thank goodness! Now, how does one say prosper in spanish? Do they say PROSPERO ? RING… cake is done!

3. Samantha says

This line, and another poem found within that book ("That no life lives forever/That dead men rise up never/That even the weariest river/Winds somewhere safe to sea") are both actually references to The Garden of Proserpine by Algernon Charles Swinburne. The poem is direct, and the first line of Swinburne's poem is actually "Here, where the world is quiet." It is, coincidentally, my favorite poem, and I loved what Lemony Snicket did with it in that book.

I've been trying to decide for a long time whether I want the first line or the whole poem of Swinburne's on my ribs.

I've always wanted to get a tattoo of the Series of unfortunate events because it's my favorite books, and They were the first books I've ever read. And I absolutely ADORED them. I wanna get a tattoo about Lemony snicket in honor of the work he's done, he has inspired me greatly. Love the tattoo by the way, quite jealous! Always wanted a tattoo with that line, but not sure if I will. Alot of people's got it already, but we'll see.

5. ue says

After reading books 1-10 (not vile village though) I was so creeped out about all this VFD mystery that I never had the courage to read the later books. :P

What's with the mycelium sugar bowl and beatrice?

• Kasai says

@ue It never explains. I’ve read each one at least 3 times and nothing ever comes of it. You would think that with all of the alluding to both, they would be super important later on. You’d be wrong, however.

1. [...] PDRTJS_settings_175752_post_19400 = { "id" : "175752", "unique_id" : "wp-post-19400", "title" : "The+world+is+quiet+here", "item_id" : "_post_19400", "permalink" : "http%3A%2F%2Fcakeheadlovesevil.wordpress.com%2F2010%2F05%2F16%2Fthe-world-is-quiet-here%2F" } Really nice collection of Literary Tattoos over at Contrariwise: [...]